An architecture-related website based in Beijing ( archcy.com) recently released the list of China’s top 10 ugliest structures in 2020 . A team of seven architects deliberated on the finalists which had gone through two rounds of selection and a preselection by online voting.
2020 11th China’s Top Ten Ugly Buildings List
1. Guangzhou Sunac Grand Theater
Reasons for the list: The creativity is far-fetched, the random collage of Chinese elements, the grotesque shape, and the damage to the image of the city.
2. Changbai Mountain Changbaidi Resort Hotel, Yanbian, Jilin
Reasons for being on the list: The form is made mechanically, exaggerated and rude, the scale is out of balance, and the waste is huge.
3. Chongqing Wulong Flying Kiss
Reasons for the list: grandstanding, vulgar intentions, clumsy modeling, destroying the natural landscape.
4. Nanjing Beehive Hotel, Jiangsu
Reasons for the list: weird form, pretentious, extravagant worship, and vulgar taste.
5. Guizhou Xingyi Wanfeng Lake Jilongbao Hotel
Reasons for being on the list: Blindly worshipping foreign countries, distorted cultural values, and seriously conflicting with the original ecological landscape of the region.
6. Wuqiao International Acrobatics Theater, Cangzhou, Hebei
Reasons for being on the list: poorly imitating traditional Chinese architectural classics, with chaotic forms and imbalanced proportions.
7. Guangxi Hechi Danquan Wine Industry Cultural Center
Reasons for being on the list: simplistic image comparison, vulgar conception, and crude style.
8. New Building of Jiangxi Provincial Library
Reasons for the list: The design concept is far-fetched and the formal language is chaotic.
9. Guangdong Maoming Youth Activity Center
Reasons for being on the list: The design is patchy and the organization is out of order.
10. Shaanxi Baoji Union Bridge
Reason for being on the list: The use of imported forms is detrimental to cultural identity.
Source : archy.com